LEGACY MEMOIRS AND ETHICAL WILLS
Let people know you were here
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
What is the meaning of life? That was all; a simple question — one that tended to close in on one with years. The great revelation had never come. The great revelation perhaps never did come. Instead there were little daily miracles, illuminations, matches struck unexpectedly in the dark.
One of the biggest regrets I hear from people after they lose a loved one is that those stories that they heard throughout their life were not written down so that can be passed on. As a twelve-time published author and produced screenwriter, I am a storyteller. I believe that everyone has a story that needs to be told, and I have decades of experience telling them. By interviewing you at length either in person or via Zoom, I intuitively know what questions to ask to give your story the structure and pacing to make it a coherent and poignant narrative. I am able to pick up your voice so that it sounds as if it's coming from you, after which I will present it in multiple copies of a beautiful hardcover book. This allows you to say you were here—in this family; in this community; in this world—not just for your own peace of mind, but as a cherished gift for your friends and family for generations to come.
You don't have to wait until the end to tell your story now. In addition to telling the stories of individuals, couples, and families, I am available to write histories of organizations and businesses which reflects not just the facts, but the themes of their missions. If you have already written your story yourself or want to, I am available to provide editing services to help you shape it.
My 30 plus years as a storyteller—first as a Hollywood executive who developed hundreds of scripts based on true stories; followed by my years as a prolific novelist, ghostwriter, screenwriter and college professor—has perfected my skill to craft an engaging, well-paced story, a skill that is evidenced in my recent TEDx talk I gave.
As we are all unique individuals, so is the format that a memoir can take. Some subjects prefer their own singular voice throughout the book, whereas others may choose to incorporate stories and reflections from their loved ones. In addition to having something at the end that live on for generations, it’s been my experience that the interview process is very healing for people and gives them an enhanced sense of meaning and purpose. This feeling carries over to loved ones as well as they tell their own stories. The same holds true for businesses and organizations.
STEP 1: Interviews
Over the course of our one-hour interviews I will:
• work closely with you to determine the most important elements for your story;
• help you choose the most compelling narratives and themes to explore;
• ask pertinent questions to flesh out the most important details and develop a strong outline of your life story.
• record our sessions and transcribe them
STEP 2: Outline
• organize the information from you into a logical and coherent order;
• select the most interesting and relevant anecdotes to make your narrative shine;
• present a comprehensive outline for your approval before beginning the writing process.
STEP 3: Writing/Editing
• leverage my 30 plus years of experience as a professional writer and storyteller to tell your story in the most professional manner;
• meet with you after you’ve read the manuscript to get your feedback and present you with a second draft to review;
• make any final changes you have;
• clear the manuscript of typos and grammatical errors.
STEP 4: Finished product
• present you with beautiful hardback books that, in addition to your written story, include images of your choice. In addition, I will provide you with a PDF file of the manuscript so that you are free to print additional copies of the book, as well as an audio file of the interviews, so that you will have access to people's voices as well.
An ethical will is a letter that shares your values; the lessons you’ve learned; what wisdom you want to pass along to future generations; what hopes you have for their future and what blessings you want for them.
• Based on 3 face-to-face meetings, I will distill your values, life lessons, blessings and hopes for the future into a "legacy letter" that your heirs will cherish for generations to come
Prices available upon request.